PANCAKE BREAKFAST – Sunday, October 22nd, 8:30am-12:30pm
Buy your tickets now online!!
PILLARS is St. Matthias School’s parent-teacher association. PILLARS is an entirely self-funded group with an executive board currently consisting of a two Co-Presidents, a Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Volunteer Coordinator. All families at St. Matthias School are automatically members.
What PILLARS Does
We raise money through fun, community-building events like Hot Dog Day and the twice-yearly Pancake Breakfast. In 2016-2017, PILLARS raised more than $15,000 to provide students, teachers, and staff extras outside of the operating budget. Here are a few of the things that PILLARS’ support has brought to the school:
- New playground equipment for all students
- Playhouses for the preschool students
- Document projectors for the primary grades
- Uniform exchanges
- Bottle-filling water stations
- Large sign on Western Avenue
- Snacks during standardized testing
- Picnic tables in front of the school
- Teacher wish list items
- Supporting the RAISE Capital Campaign by selling ornaments and encouraging a student competition that raised $3,000 (and got a $3,000 anonymous match)
PILLARS also sponsors free events for staff and the SMS Community including:
- First Day of School coffee for parents
- Hot Chocolate, Caroling and Visits with Santa at the Christmas Tree Lot
- Teacher Appreciation Lunches and gifts
- Back to School Picnic & Ice Cream Social (with the Men’s Club)
- Spooky Sports Day
- Cookies and Carols event after the holiday program
- End of Year Picnic for students
All are welcome to attend our monthly Pillars Meetings, and we always have wine and snacks. Join us and see how you can make a difference in the lives of students, teachers and staff at St. Matthias!
2017-2018 Meetings (dates subject to change) – Meetings take place at 7pm in the St. Matthias Convent (4927 N. Claremont) right across the street from school:
- Wed., Oct. 11th
- Thurs., Nov. 30th
- Wed., Jan. 10th
- Thurs., Feb. 15th
- Mon., March 12th
- Tues., April 10th
- Thurs., May 10th
PILLARS Board, 2017-2018
The executive board is:
- Karyn McGovern, Co-President
- Julie Hammell, Co-President
- Laura Ashmore, Vice President & Room Parent Coordinator
- Beth Mankowski, Treasurer
- Stevie Kuenn, Secretary
- Kat Nolan, Volunteer Coordinator
The Board will have openings in 2018-2019; please contact any board member to learn more. Board members earn 6 volunteer hours for their service.
PILLARS also improves parent communication by coordinating the Room Parent program. Each year, PILLARS asks one parent to volunteer to communicate important news, events, calls for volunteers and more to the other parents in each classroom. Room Parents also commit to chairing or co-chairing one PILLARS event, like Hot Dog Day or Cookies and Carols, each year and attending all monthly PILLARS meetings.
Room parents earn 6 volunteer hours for their service. Please contact Laura Ashmore to learn more and volunteer as room parent for your child’s classroom.
Minutes and Other Important Links